Saturday 19 January 2013

Dean Shareski- You are what you share

I just wanted to start off by saying thank you to Dean Shareski for presenting in our Internet for Educators class. This was the first time I have heard Dean speak and it was interesting and inspiring. Dean talked about how technology is always changing and its hard to be "good" at technology, because it is always evolving and new ideas are always being put out into the world. Dean talked about three lessons he has learned in terms of networking. The first lesson was that students in our classrooms should use media and technological devices to develop their literacy skills. The second lesson was that there are teachers everywhere, and we should take advantage of the seven year old who can teach us how to use the basics of photoshop, or the new update on our iphones. His third lesson and the one he was most passionate about, was you are what you share. Even if you don't find your lesson that inspiring, or the art project that exciting, if you share it, it may be just what another teacher needs for their classroom. It could be the one thing that makes their class want to learn. The time and effort you put into the lessons for your class will seem like nothing if you don't put it out into the cyber world for others to also learn from. The internet has so much information for educators, we need to take advantage of it. The more we share, the more people will read, the more they will share, the more information there will be at our fingertips. So now I have been inspired to go look for blogs with exciting lesson plans and share, share, share.
Here's to many more blog posts, with hopefully inspiring information for other soon to be educators.

-LB
"Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow." -Anthony J. D'Angelo

3 comments:

  1. Lindsey, welcome to Internet for Educators. I really like the layout of your blog. It is very teacherish (yes, I know, not a real word).
    I have to admit that I was a little freaked out when Dean said, "You are what you share". I am hesitant about sharing my stuff. Not because I don't like to share, but because I never think my stuff is good enough. It's hard to put yourself out there to be judged by others. I know that I will definitely share, but the time frame for when that happens, I'm not so sure about. I guess I just need to recall what that purple dinosaur said, "Sharing is caring". lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing is a very worthwhile endeavour. Remembering that our ideas may not seem spectacular to us, but could be just what other teachers need is a great motivator for me to keep sharing. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the idea of the seven year old with the photoshop or the kids teaching him how to play guitar. It really put it into perspective how closely connected our world is and what kinds of things we can using technology for! I think this will be good to keep in mind when we step into a classroom- the fact that our students can learn so much on their own without us. I think we need to make sure we are teaching them to the how to's with technology so that they can properly utilize all of the tools available.

    PS. Cute quote- I may start copying the idea on my blog!

    ReplyDelete