Wednesday 5 February 2014

Missing out and Reading up!

Unfortunately I missed a guest speaker (John Finch) we had in ICT last Thursday, January 30th. To catch up and get a summary of the talk I read a peers blog www.mrsduchart.blogspot.com. I found it an interesting read and an interesting topic.

Today students have unlimited to access to all types of information on the internet. The problem with this is that there is so much information that is false. It tricks students, and leads them to pages of often untrue facts and figures. As teachers we must guide students in the right direction. ICT in the classroom is how we will be teaching our students when my class of educators steps out into the field. As teachers we must create an environment where students use the internet with caution. John Finch suggested to the class that we teach the students to look at the internet and its vast array of information through three lenses;
Validity, Reliability and Currency. When we teach our students to use the information they gather using these three methods, we teach them to further there knowledge of the subject areas and ask deeper more meaningful questions after they find the information they are looking for. Hopefully this creates more well rounded, knowledgeable students.

As I was reading my peers blog I became quite interested in one in particular as well as I really liked the way he articulated his message. I had lots of the same feelings as him which include "How do I create a lesson that is unique and awe-inspiring for each class?" The answer being we should direct our students to learn and dig deeper into a subject on their own. One which gives them a desire to learn. What does this have to do with ICT in education you ask? Give Colin's blog a read and see what you think! (www.colinwollman.blogspot.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment